Sunday 8 May 2011

Unique Indentififcation Number - UIN

I was reading an article on the Unique Identification Number in India Today. I believe this a great project with numerous benefits.

One idea of alternative usage already floating around is using it for passing on benefits to people below poverty line. This was something announced in the Union Budget this year.

Another possible use I can think of, of course when this is rolled out 100% across India, is to use this number in all economic transactions across the country. To reduce chaos this should be made mandatory for transactions only above Rs 100000. While I am say this I am very conscious of the infrastructure needed to make this work. This will necessitate mammoth investment of time, money; effort and most importantly - will. But considering the amount of black money this country holds, I think it will be worth the investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment